Board info:
- No birthdays today
- In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests
- It is currently Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:09 pm
Send More Paramedicss #1: We Are a Scene, Not a Seen!
The place to comment on all features and reviews from the From Dusk Till Con main site.Send More Paramedicss #1: We Are a Scene, Not a Seen!
by Mr. Chainsaw » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:47 am
-
Mr. Chainsaw - Site Admin

- Posts: 9924
- Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:57 pm
- Location: Fox Lake, IL
Re: We Are a Scene, Not a Seen!
by Prof. Werewolf » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:10 pm
Great article!
I think that no matter how small or obscure the scene may be, this element will always find its way in. I love the genre because it's been one of the most pleasurable constants throughout my life. People will always come and go with the little trends that drive their life, but (as you said) a lot of us have been here since childhood and will continue to be here long after others have covered up their monster tattoos, taken the movie posters off their walls, and explained away their DVD collection as "just a phase".
To quote a great movie: "You think this is a costume or something? This is a way of life!"
I think that no matter how small or obscure the scene may be, this element will always find its way in. I love the genre because it's been one of the most pleasurable constants throughout my life. People will always come and go with the little trends that drive their life, but (as you said) a lot of us have been here since childhood and will continue to be here long after others have covered up their monster tattoos, taken the movie posters off their walls, and explained away their DVD collection as "just a phase".
To quote a great movie: "You think this is a costume or something? This is a way of life!"
-
Prof. Werewolf - Fresh Meat

- Posts: 192
- Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:54 pm
- Location: Dunedin, Florida
Re: We Are a Scene, Not a Seen!
by Mr. Chainsaw » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:49 pm
Prof. Werewolf wrote:Great article!
I think that no matter how small or obscure the scene may be, this element will always find its way in. I love the genre because it's been one of the most pleasurable constants throughout my life. People will always come and go with the little trends that drive their life, but (as you said) a lot of us have been here since childhood and will continue to be here long after others have covered up their monster tattoos, taken the movie posters off their walls, and explained away their DVD collection as "just a phase".
To quote a great movie: "You think this is a costume or something? This is a way of life!"
Thanks for the kind words. Im trying to get back into my writing mojo and I figured this blog where I can rant and rave about random topics is a good way to start. Ive spent most of my time as editor of from Dusk till Con and havent even gotten to exhibit my own work.
Totally agree with you as well on the "just a phase" analogy. To this day, most of my friends who I used to go to punk rock and hardcore shows back in the day call it "just a phase." Like horror, that isnt "just a phase" for me - this here is my life.
Btw, great to have you back Prof!
-
Mr. Chainsaw - Site Admin

- Posts: 9924
- Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:57 pm
- Location: Fox Lake, IL
by Bub » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:39 pm
I wholeheartedly agree with your blog, C. And fitting subject for a convention forum it was! I've had my run-ins with the kind of people you referred to in your blog. I'm trying to be more understanding as I get older and overlook the negative comments and actions made by others. However, that can be tough to do. Fortunately, I'm blessed to have found a core group of conventioneers that I can enjoy hanging out with for a weekend. Con people are generally out to have fun and enjoy their hobby/way of life. To reiterate what was more eloquently stated in the blog, we as conventioneers have a responsibility to nurture this convention circuit with not just our money but with constructive criticism, praise, and raised awareness by word of mouth. Blatant negativity and manipulation just sullies the reputations of cons, attendees, staff, managers/agents, etc. And what does that get us? Alienation.
Just my two cents.
*Bub steps off his soap box.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum.
Just my two cents.
*Bub steps off his soap box.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum.
-
Bub - Fresh Meat

- Posts: 117
- Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:11 pm
- Location: Michigan
Re:
by Mr. Chainsaw » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:48 pm
Bub wrote:I wholeheartedly agree with your blog, C. And fitting subject for a convention forum it was! I've had my run-ins with the kind of people you referred to in your blog. I'm trying to be more understanding as I get older and overlook the negative comments and actions made by others. However, that can be tough to do. Fortunately, I'm blessed to have found a core group of conventioneers that I can enjoy hanging out with for a weekend. Con people are generally out to have fun and enjoy their hobby/way of life. We as conventioneers have a responsibility to nurture this convention circuit with not just our money but with constructive criticism, praise, and raised awareness by word of mouth. Blatant negativity and manipulation just sullies the reputations of cons, attendees, staff, managers/agents, etc. And what does that get us? Alienation.
Just my two cents.
*Bub steps off his soap box.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum.
Im glad you brought up alienation, given that our scene/hobby is still one that most mainstream outlets and the general public at large struggles to understand. As horror convention enthusiasts, we still fall somewhat out of step with may accepted social norms and for someone outside of our sub-culture, walking into a horror convention could very well appear to be a collection of black sheep and outsiders. Given that to be true, why would fans conceivably choose to draw lines in the sand against one another - it makes no sense to me, other than the notion that perhaps some people just relish chaos, conflict, and attention. In the end, if left unchecked, that very behavior can lead to a very black cloud being cast on something that is still relatively fresh and new.
-
Mr. Chainsaw - Site Admin

- Posts: 9924
- Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:57 pm
- Location: Fox Lake, IL
by Ricardo Del Muerto » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:41 am
Mr. C,
You have a voice that speaks for many of us and I am proud to have you represent some thoughts and feelings that I am sure most of us have. It is a very well written piece and I am looking forward to seeing more rants and raves from the edge of the Chainsaw.
You have a voice that speaks for many of us and I am proud to have you represent some thoughts and feelings that I am sure most of us have. It is a very well written piece and I am looking forward to seeing more rants and raves from the edge of the Chainsaw.
-

Ricardo Del Muerto - Site Admin

- Posts: 556
- Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:23 pm
- Location: A-Town
Return to From Dusk Till Con Feature/Review Comment Thread
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
- Board index
- The team • Delete all board cookies • Delete style cookies • All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

