Board info:
- No birthdays today
- In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests
- Last visit was: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:22 am
- It is currently Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:22 am
Lost Films of the VHS Era
Discussion for all horror related cinema - from Alien to Zombie.
44 posts
• Page 1 of 5 • 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Lost Films of the VHS Era
by Mr. Chainsaw » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:04 pm
Trying to compile a comprehensive list of horror related titles that were never released in DVD format and are casualties of the VHS era for an upcoming column.
Feel free to throw the names of your favorites at me and if there's any speculation, one can always research them/
Feel free to throw the names of your favorites at me and if there's any speculation, one can always research them/
-
Mr. Chainsaw - Site Admin

- Posts: 10057
- Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:57 pm
- Location: Fox Lake, IL
Re: Lost Films of the VHS Era
by Don of the Dead » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:15 pm
Clown House?
I know it was supposed to come out on DVD a few years back and was either canceled or a very limited release.
I'm torn of the film. a great creepy film, but you feel a bit sick knowing Victor Salva molested one of the boys in the film during shooting.
I know it was supposed to come out on DVD a few years back and was either canceled or a very limited release.
I'm torn of the film. a great creepy film, but you feel a bit sick knowing Victor Salva molested one of the boys in the film during shooting.
-

Don of the Dead - Fresh Meat

- Posts: 996
- Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:21 am
Re: Lost Films of the VHS Era
by Mr. Chainsaw » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:57 pm
Clownhouse had a very limited release before going OOP again. You can find copies on Amazon for upwards of $50-70.
I guess before going further I should shed light on the direction of the column and ask for feedback and opinions.
I want to highlight a different OOP horror title every month, the kind that you see floating around the convention circuit in DVD-R format. Originally I pondered doing only the lost relics of the VHS era (such as Boogens, Video Dead, Goremet, and up until recently, more known films such as Phantasm II, Night of the Creeps, etc.), but now Im thinking of perhaps also focusing on those that have gone OOP due to limited runs and not re-released (such as Clownhouse, Nekromantik and others).
All in all I am making a push to have more content featuring films other sites talk about, but that I feel fans would love to learn about or see honored with a bit of discussion time. Just because companies dont think theyre work putting out, doesnt mean we dont think theyre not worth watching.
Onward with suggestions, feedback, etc.
I guess before going further I should shed light on the direction of the column and ask for feedback and opinions.
I want to highlight a different OOP horror title every month, the kind that you see floating around the convention circuit in DVD-R format. Originally I pondered doing only the lost relics of the VHS era (such as Boogens, Video Dead, Goremet, and up until recently, more known films such as Phantasm II, Night of the Creeps, etc.), but now Im thinking of perhaps also focusing on those that have gone OOP due to limited runs and not re-released (such as Clownhouse, Nekromantik and others).
All in all I am making a push to have more content featuring films other sites talk about, but that I feel fans would love to learn about or see honored with a bit of discussion time. Just because companies dont think theyre work putting out, doesnt mean we dont think theyre not worth watching.
Onward with suggestions, feedback, etc.
-
Mr. Chainsaw - Site Admin

- Posts: 10057
- Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:57 pm
- Location: Fox Lake, IL
Re: Lost Films of the VHS Era
by evil eric » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:44 pm
The Addiction - Christopher Walken and Lily Taylor.
Communion - Did this get a release?
Communion - Did this get a release?
...like tears in rain.
- evil eric
- Fresh Meat

- Posts: 1717
- Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:45 am
- Location: West Palm Beach, Florida
Re: Lost Films of the VHS Era
by Mr. Chainsaw » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:59 pm
evil eric wrote:The Addiction - Christopher Walken and Lily Taylor.
Communion - Did this get a release?
Communion got a DVD release in 2003 through a Special Collectors Edition. The print run must have been very low because Ive only ever seen it once, and that was in a used DVD store. Still kicking myself in the ass for not picking it up then. Havent seen it in ages but I know it greatly disturbed me as a child.
-
Mr. Chainsaw - Site Admin

- Posts: 10057
- Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:57 pm
- Location: Fox Lake, IL
Re: Lost Films of the VHS Era
by evil eric » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:06 am
If it wasn't for Walken, I think that thing would have been a huge turd.
...like tears in rain.
- evil eric
- Fresh Meat

- Posts: 1717
- Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:45 am
- Location: West Palm Beach, Florida
Re: Lost Films of the VHS Era
by Mr. Chainsaw » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:04 am
evil eric wrote:If it wasn't for Walken, I think that thing would have been a huge turd.
Walken does that for alot of films.
-
Mr. Chainsaw - Site Admin

- Posts: 10057
- Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:57 pm
- Location: Fox Lake, IL
Re: Lost Films of the VHS Era
by screamher » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:48 pm
One of my favs: House of the Long Shadows
I have it on VHS and DVD bootleg but would love to see it cleaned up and rereleased.
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w92pA9VEKAQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w92pA9VEKAQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
I have it on VHS and DVD bootleg but would love to see it cleaned up and rereleased.
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w92pA9VEKAQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w92pA9VEKAQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Me me me me is all you say that I care about.
-
screamher - Fresh Meat

- Posts: 263
- Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:34 am
- Location: Here.....on the board.
Re: Lost Films of the VHS Era
by Mr. Chainsaw » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:17 am
Im surprised so few people have come forward with film suggestions. Is it that people arent familiar with alot of these lost gems only found on VHS, or just that they simply dont care?
Ive got a few ideas for some early reviews for my monthly "Lost Films of the VHS Era
column:
The Keep
The Brain
The Hellstrom Chronicle
Blue Monkey
Dont Be Afraid of the Dark
The Boogens
The Unseen
Any thoughts?
Ive got a few ideas for some early reviews for my monthly "Lost Films of the VHS Era
column:
The Keep
The Brain
The Hellstrom Chronicle
Blue Monkey
Dont Be Afraid of the Dark
The Boogens
The Unseen
Any thoughts?
-
Mr. Chainsaw - Site Admin

- Posts: 10057
- Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:57 pm
- Location: Fox Lake, IL
44 posts
• Page 1 of 5 • 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests
